So apparently the Maple Gods turned on the sap tap.  I now have 35 buckets and probably brought in 40 to 45 gallons of sap!

 

That’s far too much sap for me to process at in my current situation.  I believe I was thinking about boiling nightly when I did my calculations and didn’t realize how much effort that was going to be.  I did.  I just forgot.  Like a woman having her second child somehow forgetting how painful the first one was…

 

So here I am trying to figure out how to handle this.  Time to tweak the RO machine and aim for that 3:1 mixture.

 

I replaced the 5 micron filter and immediately noticed that the hose shook less.  Making mental note.  Shaking of the hose = time to change the filter.

I brought in a bigger barrel for the water so I could just let it run.  It’s going to need to run for ~ 8 hours I figure.  Will set my alarm tonight for early morning and shut it down or check on the progress.

 

Initial sap reading:  2.5%

RO concentrate reading:  7%

 

Close enough to that 3:1 number that I’m not going to complain.  At 7% sap, I should end up with 12.25 gallons of concentrate for 1 gallon of syrup.

 

Boiling tomorrow

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Close